Sunday 19 July 2015

Rudaí 23 #thing3: Getting connected, avoiding profile picture fails and developing my professional brand


This week’s task was to work on my professional brand by updating my LinkedIn profile and by creating an about.me profile online. I already had what I thought was an up to date LinkedIn profile that I could use to create an about.me account so I thought Thing 3 would be sewn up in no time! I emerged from updating and creating both profiles a few hours later surprised at how absorbing the tasks were but happy my profiles are complete and truly representative of my current professional roles and achievements.

I’ve always valued LinkedIn for the way in which it allows me to present my professional profile online and to build professional networks. If I’m being honest with myself though I haven’t used it enough to connect with current and former colleagues and classmates but I’m intent on doing that now with the Rudaí 23 course as my motivation.  Posting my first comment in the Rudaí 23 group on LinkedIn today was my first step in engaging in a meaningful way with professional groups I follow.

About.me is a great way for me to present a snapshot of my professional skills, experience and personality to the library community online and I’ll take the time to explore it now my profile is up and running.


It was a challenging but valuable exercise to edit and update my LinkedIn information and to make sure that this profile was in line with my current C.V. as well as my Twitter, Blogger and about.me accounts. Doing more research about LinkedIn profile pictures on Youtube I discovered that black and white photographs are classed as a FAIL so quickly updated mine! If you're in any doubt about yours maybe this short video is worth a watch...

I wanted my professional brand to communicate how much I enjoy working in libraries, how engaged I am with my current roles, with continuous professional development and with the library community. I worked in the private sector for almost ten years before embarking on my library career and I wanted my professional summary to convey how my experience of both working within and managing teams has enriched my professional experience. The Rudaí 23 tips about writing professional summaries and refining my profile were really helpful and I finally added a summary to my LinkedIn page. 

Onwards and upwards to building my professional network!


1 comment:

  1. Love the video Eilis. I wonder why they consider black and white photos a fail though? #rudai23

    ReplyDelete